Grabouw & Elgin Valley Snapshot
First stop coming over Sir Lowry's Pass, Grabouw is a small commercial hub offering little more than dusty streets and drab shop windows. As such there's much to recommend the dorp itself. In marked contrast, the surrounding countryside, a dense collage of fynbos and pine-clad mountains lying heavy under the sweet smell of apples, is immensely appealing. The picturesque Elgin Valley, Hottentots Holland Nature Reserve and Theewaterskloof Dam near Villiersdorp, are among the weekend attractions.
Things To Do
- Sitting just above the town, Grabouw Plantation is a mecca for mountain bikers and hikers alike. Plantation roads, bursts of single track, marked trails, beautiful views and rock pools, offer a varied experience. Permits are required to enter the plantation and can be purchased at the adjacent Country Club, which is also good for after-action-satisfaction.
- The Hottentots Holland Nature Reserve is a massive swathe of wild mountainous terrain filling the triangle between Grabouw, Franschhoek and Stellenbosch. Several day and overnight hiking trails, kloofing and a 4x4 trail are up for grabs. Entry to the reserve is via Nuweberg, along Viljoen's Pass between Grabouw and Villiersdorp.
- On the far side of the scenic Viljoens Pass to Villiersdorp, Theewaterskloof Dam (among the largest in SA), offers the usual medley of watersports and freshwater fishing.
- In our view, prize for best meal and coffee in town goes to the Houw Hoek Farmstall, found along the N2, opposite the historic Houw Hoek Inn. Darting across the road, The Inn offers both day and evening meals. Closer to Grabouw and Elgin, the Peregrine Farmstall is friendly and packed to the rafters with wholesome goodies and country smells, while Grabouw itself is yet to shine on the culinary stakes.
- Grabouw, Elgin and their surrounds provide a useful base to the winelands and restaurants of Franschhoek as well as the coastal spots between Gordon's Bay and Hermanus. All are linked by impressive passes and picturesque scenery - Viljoens Pass, Franschhoek Pass, Van Der Stel Pass and the coastal road between Gordon's Bay to Kleinmond, to mention a few enjoyable day drives.
With two beautifully renovated cottages spilling soothing views over orchards and vineyards, it’s easy to see why the pages of the Cheverells guest book paint such a rosy picture. “The cot...
From it's fertile base in the Elgin Valley, this charming boutique wine estate gazes upon the Groenberg Mountains. The farm is home to Mike and Mel and their hounds - as the guest feedback suggests, ...
A handy base for couples or a small family staying in the Elgin Valley near Botrivier - not to mention a useful option to soak up overflow from neighbouring getaway, Underhill Farm - Avondson Cottage ...
An easy-to-reach bolthole from the Mother City, UnderHill Farm offers a soothing setting under giant oak trees and a poplar-lined river bank. Totally off-grid and solar powered, the farm lies just of...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Addo • Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Aurora • Barberton • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Bela Bela • Bergville & Northern Drakensberg • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Clarens • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Dullstroom • East London • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Kaapsehoop • Knysna • Ladismith • Ladybrand • Laingsburg • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Magaliesberg • Magoebaskloof & Haenertsburg • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Mtunzini • Napier • Nature's Valley • Nelspruit • Nieu-Bethesda • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Rhodes • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • Sabie • Sedgefield • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Thabazimbi • Tulbagh • Underberg & Southern Drakensberg • Vaalwater & Waterberg • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Winterton & Central Drakensberg • Witsand • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein •