For a town synonymous with adrenaline and the great white shark, Gansbaai is a tad desolate. Not that this has stopped migrating Gautengers from buying homes and setting up shop – over the past few years, the number of businesses has exploded, the local council has employed its first traffic cops, and come Sunday the NG Kerk is so jam-packed you can’t see the dominee. While Gansbaai itself may be nondescript, the jagged coastline extending from De Kelders to Pearly Beach has both beauty and a haunting past. It is a long, fairly undeveloped stretch of coastal fynbos, rocky coves, abundant marine life, facebrick holiday homes and sad shipwrecks.
Things To Do
- Visit Danger Point Lighthouse and spare a thought for the many lives lost along this brutal coastline. At low tide, the infamous Birkenhead Rock stands visible a kilometre or so out to sea – Nature giving Man the symbolic middle finger?
- For safe swimming, Stanford’s Cove, Pearly Beach and Uilenskraalmond are the best options. Pearly Beach, in particular, is made for long walks.
- Locals will argue that Gansbaai has more whales than Hermanus. The best place and time to prove this is on the rocky cliffs above De Kelders, from June to November.
- De Kelders is also famous for its caves, where Stone Age archaeological deposits have been discovered.
- Q: What has two legs and an arm? A: A Gansbaai great white. Hee, hee! You too can pay to be human bait on a great white shark tour to Dyers Island. En route to “Shark Alley”, you will have the opportunity to see Jackass penguins, Cape fur seals, a diverse bird population and your life, pass before you. Actually, if truth be told, shark diving is a low risk activity and a unique opportunity to get a close-up view of these fascinating creatures from the safety of a reinforced steel cage. Google Gansbaai Tourism to put you in touch with one of several operators vying for your custom.
- The Duiwelsgat hiking trail is a pleasant 7km coastal meander between Gansbaai and De Kelders.
- We hear that Gansbaai has been trying to break away from its image as a great white macho hangout, and ex-shark operators might soon be kneeling in heather explaining the botanical intricacies of cross-pollination. Watch this space…
The Fisherman's Cottage is a neat abode set a mere 200m from the crashing waves at Pearly Beach - a smallish holiday enclave 20km up the way from Gansbaai. Best thing about Fisherman's ar...
Q: What’s the quickest way of getting the Swiss flying squad to your house? A: Forget to take a library book back on time. Corny jokes aside, if the owners are Swiss you can bet the ...
Here’s a new Overberg getaway that has "Take me!" splashed all over it. With attention to simple detail, a decent price tag, plenty of farm action for the kids, oodles of comfort for the folks,...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Addo • Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Aurora • Barberton • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Bela Bela • Bergville & Northern Drakensberg • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Bronkhorstspruit • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Clarens • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Dullstroom • East London • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hazyview • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jeffreys Bay • Jozi and Surrounds • Kaapsehoop • Knysna • Ladismith • Ladybrand • Laingsburg • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Magaliesberg • Magoebaskloof & Haenertsburg • Malgas • Marloth Park • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Mtunzini • Napier • Nature's Valley • Nelspruit • Nieu-Bethesda • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Philippolis • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Rhodes • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • Sabie • Sedgefield • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Thabazimbi • Tulbagh • Underberg & Southern Drakensberg • Uniondale • Vaalwater & Waterberg • Van Wyksdorp • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Victoria Bay • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Winterton & Central Drakensberg • Witsand • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein •