Greyton (140km from Cape Town) is the Greyton most expect to find: neat white thatched cottages under majestic oaks; wide dirt avenues; idle hours at tuisgebak coffee shops; a corner café selling bread, milk and Boxer tobacco; other places peddling antiques and bric-and-brac; and prostrate Sunday afternoons. Greyton is all this and a bit more – a speculator’s feeding ground and a ‘traditional’ village where the donkey-cart trails a distant second to BMW as traditional vehicle of choice. When all is said and done, when the authentic and the contrived have been mixed in, there’s no escaping the log-fire weekend appeal of this village nestled below the Riviersonderend mountains.
Things To Do
- There is no denying it, Greyton is pretty – thanks to a combination of natural setting and controlled town planning. The Post House, Greyton Lodge and the Moravian Church are just three of many historical buildings in the village.
- The popular 14km Boesmanskloof Trail linking Greyton to McGregor is the village highlight for many visitors. This beautiful route can be completed in a day if you’re fit, but those who don’t wish to go all the way are free to walk the first 5km without a permit. Apart from the Boesmanskloof traverse, the Greyton Nature Reserve is a 220ha tract of fynbos, proteas, waterfalls and several short trails. The tourism office can provide you with a map.
- The pleasant mission station and museum complex of Genadendal is just up the road from Greyton; apart from a walk through yesteryear it has a Moravian restaurant. A 25km overnight hiking trail also kicks off from Genadendal; permits can be arranged through the Vrolijkheid Nature Reserve in McGregor.
- Like many country towns, Greyton buzzes on Saturday morning. Much of this frenetic activity occurs around the village square and its weekly market. Peddling a wide range of fresh produce and other interesting country fare, you can stock up for the weekend and, unlike Pick ‘n Pay, have fun at the same time.
- Greyton has a wide spread of restaurants, pubs and coffee shops, where you'll likely bump into half of Cape Town at one point or the other during your weekend stay.
A fruit farm on the Zonderend River, Champagne offers a small campsite, a new bushcamp and a cottage, all set on the water and with a lovely open outlook towards the mountains. The cam...
The scene is typically Overberg: rolling grain fields disappearing into a hazy horizon cropped by fynbos-coated mountains. The farm’s touted attractions include vast tracts of unspoilt natu...
Appointed on a working farm 4km off the R406 between Caledon and Greyton, Eikebos offers a picturesque and intimate camping experience. With a grand total of seven stands, all shaded by majestic oak...
Geelbos Cottage is a secluded renovated labourer's cottage on a typical Overberg farm at the foot of the Kleinswartberg mountain. This white tin-roofed cottage lies about 1km from the...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Addo • Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Aurora • Barberton • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Bela Bela • Bergville & Northern Drakensberg • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Clarens • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Dullstroom • East London • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Kaapsehoop • Knysna • Ladismith • Ladybrand • Laingsburg • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Magaliesberg • Magoebaskloof & Haenertsburg • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Mtunzini • Napier • Nature's Valley • Nelspruit • Nieu-Bethesda • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Rhodes • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • Sabie • Sedgefield • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Thabazimbi • Tulbagh • Underberg & Southern Drakensberg • Vaalwater & Waterberg • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Winterton & Central Drakensberg • Witsand • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein •