Nature's Valley Snapshot
Towered over by a dense collage of indigenous forest, deep gorges and tangled vines, flanked by a vast open lagoon and long desolate beach, Nature's Valley is the only village falling within the Tsitsikamma National Park.
We reckon it's the most laid-back destination along the Garden Route. And for good reason. It's cut off from world as we know it, there's one general dealer and a rustic beach restaurant with questionable menu, and the beach and wide lagoon has a way of very quickly seducing one into the quasi-hippie lifestyle. So, come prepared for languid sun-drenched days filled with everything, yet nothing in particular.
There's a wide choice of accommodation, most of it private holiday homes occupied by their owners over Christmas. Out of this period though, there is plenty available.
Things To Do
- The lagoon at Nature's is famiy holiday Nirvana - set up camp for the day, kick back and enjoy.
- The Nature's Valley Restaurant is the only restaurant for miles around, with a burger-and-chips kinda menu - sitdown and takeaway. The restaurant lies at the end of the infamous Otter Trail (good spot to carbo-load), with small grocery store attached.
- Just up the steep windy pass, you're in The Crags, which offers a good mix of activities, ranging from a pleasant farmstall, a number of wildlife sanctuaries, wine farms, and a Puzzle Park.
- Monkeyland is a primate sanctuary where apes from around the globe enjoy a free existence under the forest canopy - crafty pickpockets among them! You'll find the reserve near the Nature's Valley turn-off along the N2. Open daily from 8am-6pm and tours are by guide only.
- Eden World of Birds is directly next door and a must-do, with an impressive series of suspended walkways and big platter of local and exotic feathered species.
- Further afield, Stormsriver Adventures is based at Storms River Village and offers a lucky packet of adventure activities. The company is best known for blackwater tubing, aptly described as the 'ultimate kloofing experience'. After signing an indemnity form and donning a wetsuit and helmet, you'll be lowered into the Storms River. From here it's a leisurely paddle on an inflatable tube down a narrow canyon of spectacular cliffs and wild vegetation; if all goes to plan you’ll pop out like a cork several hours later at Storms River Mouth.
Located right on the Western tip of the Tsitsikamma National Park, you'll be welcomed with open arms and warm hugs at Wild Spirit, a well-loved family-run lodge and backpackers. Wild Spiriit is ...
No matter where you base yourself in Nature's Valley, you'll be surrounded by lush greenery, an awesome mountain backdrop and abundant birdlife – with the Grootrivier and crashing ocean waves ne...
A family-friendly guest house that will go the extra mile to ensure you AND the kids a comfy stay is generally hard to come by. Add to the wishlist a gorgeous setting with a combo of sea, mountain and...
A short shuffle across 424 Lagoon Drive's lush green lawn and you'll be dipping your toes in the cool waters of one of the most soothing spots on earth. This sunlit timber home is our hot pick for a ...
Like the name says, Lazy Days is a laid-back haven surrounded by forest, mountain and sea - a place to peel off your sticky urban persona and slot right into the Nature's lifestyle. Lazy Days ...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Addo • Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Aurora • Barberton • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Bela Bela • Bergville & Northern Drakensberg • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Bronkhorstspruit • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Clarens • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Dullstroom • East London • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hazyview • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jeffreys Bay • Jozi and Surrounds • Kaapsehoop • Knysna • Ladismith • Ladybrand • Laingsburg • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Magaliesberg • Magoebaskloof & Haenertsburg • Malgas • Marloth Park • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Mtunzini • Napier • Nature's Valley • Nelspruit • Nieu-Bethesda • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Philippolis • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Rhodes • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • Sabie • Sedgefield • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Thabazimbi • Tulbagh • Underberg & Southern Drakensberg • Uniondale • Vaalwater & Waterberg • Van Wyksdorp • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Victoria Bay • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Winterton & Central Drakensberg • Witsand • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein •