Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay Snapshot
Collectively known as “St Francis”, the distinction between St Francis Bay and Cape St Francis has over the years become increasingly blurred.
While both towns sit within a Frisbee throw of each another, St Francis Bay is made up of plush white-walled, thatch-roofed houses fronting an engineered canal network that feeds into the Kromme River.
Down the way and historically more rustic, Cape St Francis centres around the Seal Point lighthouse and surrounding nature reserves. The sleepy village sports a growing number of upmarket holiday homes dotted along a stretch of unspoilt beach and rocky coves.
While no longer the fisherman hideout of old, St Francis makes for an idyllic beach and water-based weekend or full-blown holiday - a place where you and the kids will happily while away the hours among the rock pools, on the white sands, and along the river. Fishing, boating, canoeing and kayaking are synonymous with the area.
Both villages have a number of restaurants, coffee and other shops to keep you occupied when the weather's not playing ball, so little chance of ever feeling at a loose end in this neck of the coastal woods.
Things To Do
- Take a trip to the Seal Point Lighthouse. Built in the 1870’s, this national monument is the highest masonry structure in Southern Africa.
- Explore the canals by boat; boat trips and gondola cruises can be organised via the tourist office.
- Pack a picnic and head for The Cove, a sheltered and secluded bay with interesting rock pools for the kids to explore.
- Head over to The Wild Side of Cape St Francis for evening sundowners. These are rumoured to be spectacular.
- Walk the banks of the Kromme River at low tide, when the beaches are exposed.
- Hit the beach proper - Cape St Francis Main Beach and Seal Point are the most popular.
- Visit Port St Francis and walk out onto the harbour wall. The Sustainable Seas Centre is also worth a browse.
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Gansbaai • George • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Knysna • Ladismith • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Plettenberg Bay • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Robertson • Rustenburg • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stilbaai • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wellington • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein