With the Eastern Cape’s Amatola Mountains as backdrop, the mystical surrounds of Hogsback are said to have been the inspiration for SA-born Tolkien's epic trilogy. And wandering through the mist-heavy forested valleys does leave one feeling like a bit actor on the set of The Lord of The Rings. Hobbits, elvins and wizards aside, Hogsback is incredibly scenic, a place of gobsmacking views, ancient forests and big waterfalls. The village itself is a sleepy hollow, home to a scattering of eccentric artists, ceramicists, B&B owners and urban opt-outs, with social life concentrated on either side of the dirt road climbing its slow way up the hog's back - you'll find a convenient spread of hotels, guest lodges, coffee shops and restaurants. Stepping off the dirt highway drops you into a veritable playground of hiking, biking and general appreciation of Nature's wonders.
Things To Do
- Take to one of the many day hikes in the area, cooling off awesome waterfall or two along the way.
- Walk the labyrinth at The Edge, a cliff-top setting with vertical views into the river gorge.
- Go on a guided horse-riding trip through the Amatolas.
- Visit the Starways Pottery studio - it's situated in a secluded hilltop forest.
- Stroll through the Camelot Fairy Meander.
- Visit the historic St Patricks on the Hill Chapel.
- Plant yourself on a barstool at one of several convivial drinking holes and feel the social pulse of the Hog.
Finding a spot to hunker down in the wilds of Hogsback can be a little like walking the labyrinth - you could end up going round in circles. Hello, Maple Grove - your near ideal Amatola retreat just...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Gansbaai • George • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Knysna • Ladismith • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Plettenberg Bay • Porterville • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Robertson • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stilbaai • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wellington • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein