Did you know that Riversdale is more than just a quick stop-off on the N2 for pee, petrol and padkos? In fact, behind its facade of Engen, Shell, Wimpy and Saddles, lies a growing little town of wide streets, plenty of angular 70's architecture, a grand steam locomotive with nowhere to go and enough steepled churches to arouse cause for suspicion. Riversdale is also the start of the Garcia Pass, a winding drive taking in impressive mountain scenery and serving as your alternative gateway to the Little Karoo.
Things To Do
- Take an after-hours wander around the town; you'll be surprised at the number of historic houses along Long Street and others that you won't see from the N2.
- The Julius Gordon Africana Centre is worth a visit. This little-known collection of antiques and works of art by South African artists remains impressive.
- There are a number of wineries, including the well-known Jakkalsvlei Cellar which should be on your hit list.
- The Old Jail houses a vibrant farmer's market on Saturdays and a great coffee shop during the week.
- The Garcia and Ghysmanshoek Passes offer awesome mountain scenery; Ghymanshoek is not accessible to sedan vehicles.
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Gansbaai • George • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Knysna • Ladismith • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Plettenberg Bay • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Robertson • Rustenburg • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stilbaai • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wellington • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein