A sleepy Karoo village circled by the Sneeuberg Mountains, Nieu-Bethesda has its origins as a church town for the surrounding farmers. What really put it on the map though was the arrival of eccentric artist Helen Martins and the legacy she left behind in the form of the weird and wonderful Owl House.
Continiuing with this creative legacy, Nieu-Bethesda has become a magnet to artists and like-minded visitors, with a decent smattering of small galleries, restaurants and coffee shops, a micro brewery and pub, a fossil museum, and more than enough beds to accommodate everyone.
The surrounding Sneeuberg Mountains (dominated by the iconic Compassberg), lie at a fairly high altitude (1350m), making the Karoo summers somewhat more bearable here than most of the Groot Karoo. Hiking trails, quite country roads, mountain bike routes and horse riding options are all on offer.
For an ultra laid-back country escape with a Bohemian twist, Nieu-Bethesda is a must-do on any Karoo roadtrip.
Things To Do
- Visit The Owl House on Martin Street. A typical Karoo home transformed by Helen Martins into a surreal world of colour and light, concrete and ground glass sculptures, the experience can't but leave one feeling moved.
- The Kitching Fossil Exploration Centre showcases an interesting collection of fossils found in the area, including life-size models of prehistoric animals.
- Take a donkey cart trip. Trips around the village can be arranged via the tourist office.
- Much of your time will be spent strolling the quiet gravel streets, taking in the local sights and atmosphere, popping into a coffee shop to escape the heat, browsing the galleries. The church and water mill are both historic buildings worth taking a look at.
- The Sneeuberg Brewery and Deli are located on the edge of the village and offer a range of craft beers that are far removed from your average SAB offering.
With gorgeous views of the Compassberg and surrounding mountains, this getaway perched on the edge of town indeed lives up to its name. Mooiuitzicht offers a combo of great rural vibe and the benefit...
Need a reason to linger longer in Nieu-Bethesda? The Ibis Lounge is it. There's a choice of three very nicely decorated B&B rooms; Karoo Room, Amore Room and the Happy Room. Ideal for coupl...
This historic guest farm is draped over a plateau with gorgeous views of the Compassberg and surrounding mountains. Ganora has it all, from San bushman painting to Boer War engravings, from farm walk...
Set on a quiet gravel road on the outskirts of the village, Zonnenstrahl Guest House is a package of old-world charm and relaxed vibe. As such, it's ideal for families or a group of friends seek...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barberton • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Bela Bela • Bergville & Northern Drakensberg • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Clarens • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Dullstroom • East London • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Kaapsehoop • Knysna • Ladismith • Ladybrand • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Magaliesberg • Magoebaskloof & Haenertsburg • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Mtunzini • Napier • Nature's Valley • Nieu-Bethesda • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Rhodes • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • Sabie • Sedgefield • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Thabazimbi • Tulbagh • Underberg & Southern Drakensberg • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Winterton & Central Drakensberg • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein