Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond Snapshot
The coastal road from Gordon’s Bay to Rooiels unfurls as a long black ribbon between hulking rock and inkwell ocean. Rooiels (65km from Cape Town) comes up first – the tidiest and most exclusive of the seaside resorts along this stretch of holiday coast. The village is well-endowed with coastal fynbos, a river and lagoon, a good beach and an impressive granite backdrop bearing resemblance to a beached whale. Pringle Bay follows - a somewhat less orderly holiday community with more than a few notable architectural mishaps. Next up is Betty’s Bay, historically a popular refuge for runaway slaves and a little neater than Pringle Bay, with bigger plots and tighter urban planning. From Betty’s Bay the road proceeds to Kleinmond and beyond to Hermanus. Once a holiday village to inland farmers, Kleinmond is today a big dorp with gridlocked residential suburbs, houses called Gryp die Dag, Oosies Rus, and Ôk Mar Nét, and a lovely long white beach. The adjacent Kogelberg Reserve, towering mountain backdrop and endless beach is Kleinmond’s attraction, not the town itself. With a few exceptions, accommodation from Rooiels to Kleinmond comprises private holiday houses managed by local letting agents.
Things To Do
- The Harold Porter Botanical Gardens in Betty’s Bay makes for a pleasant outing, offering walking trails and a tea garden.
- Also in Betty’s Bay, the Stony Point penguin colony is a sure-fire winner with children and should keep their pleas for ice cream at bay for an hour or so.
- Considered by some as the heart of the Cape Floral Kingdom, the Kogelberg Nature Reserve extends from Pringle Bay to Kleinmond. It incorporates both coastline and mountain terrain and has a number of trails and accommodation.
- The Kleinmond Coastal Reserve lies to the west of the town and presses deep into the mountain. The Palmiet River and lagoon intersects the heart of the reserve and is a good site for swimming and canoeing. The area tourism office is your contact for more info.
- All the coastal villages along this stretch of rocky coastline have beaches – some longer and some safer than others.
Looking for a functional, yet relaxed and comfortable spot in Kleinmond? Forget-Me-Not ticks the boxes. This double-story is situated within a short walk down to Kleinmond’s long Blue Flag bea...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Knysna • Ladismith • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Nature's Valley • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein