The minute you come rambling into Graaff-Reinet, you will have no doubt as to historic relevance of your whereabouts – thanks to the magnificent Groote Kerk gracing the town's high street. Founded in 1786, Graaff-Reinet sits comfortably along the banks of the Sundays River, surrounded by the Camdeboo National Park. Graaff-Reinet is not only a welcome oasis of lush gardens and tree lined streets in the middle of the Great Karoo, it also boasts some of the richest South African history - preserved in five wonderful museums throughout the town. Deservedly viewed by many as the gem of the Great Karoo, Graaff-Reinet is one to add to your SA roadtrip bucket list.
Things To Do
- It's quite easy to kill an hour or two marveling the soulful beauty and ancient rock formations of the Valley Of Desolation. Cap the experience with the Crag Lizard Trai, an easy 45-minute walk.
- For a unique overview of the landscape and ecosystems of the Great Karoo (not to mention some great game viewing), a trip to the Camdeboo National Park comes highly recommended. Pack a picnic basket and make a day of it – you won't regret it!
- As one of SA's oldest towns, Graaff-Reinet has an uber rich history dating back many moons. Thankfully, this has all been preserved in a collection of great museums dotted around the town.
- Just because you're in the Karoo, doesn't mean you'll be left high and dry. Water babes, head straight to Nqweba Dam, do not pass Begin.
- While in the Karoo Heartland, definitely make a point of indulging in some delectable, authentic Karoo lamb with a side serving of warm hospitality. The historic Drostdy Hotel is your go-to.
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Gansbaai • George • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Knysna • Ladismith • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Plettenberg Bay • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Robertson • Rustenburg • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stilbaai • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wellington • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein