Perched on the banks of the Bell River and its wild trout-rich waters, you will slot right into this secluded and tiny colonial anomaly set at the foot of the Southern Berg. The architecture and general ambience is turn-of-the-century Victorian; the setting and views are awesome and conducive to a very chilled family holiday; the streets are dusty dirt and traffic-free - your kids will have a ball racing up and down on their bikes; the local Rhodes Inn is a social magnet, where you're likely to inexplicably find yourself come sundowner time.
Rhodes is a gem that's well worth taking the trouble to get to. There is not much in the way of shops and restaurants, so be sure to pack those can't-do-without luxuries. Long easy walks, real Macoy fly-fishing in the crystal-clear rivers, hanging out at the pub, long siestas - this pretty much sums up a day in the life of Rhodes.
Things To Do
- You'll find yourself spending quite a bit of time meandering up and down the village streets, savouring their quaint Victorian charm. The village was declared a conservation area in 1997, which gives you some idea of what to expect.
- Pick a warm sunny day, pack a picnic basket full of tasty treats, and head down to the Carlisleshoek Waterfall, just 8km from the center of Rhodes.
- Rhodes is surrounded by crystal clear mountain streams and rivers teeming with brown and rainbow trout. Don't pass up on this opportunity to cast a line. One or two local outfitters can point you in the right direction.
- If you are visiting Rhodes during the snowy winter months, you can can take a 4x4 drive up towards Tiffendell - what was once SA's premier ski slope, but which has since fallen under the hammer.
- Start/end your day at the creaky Rhodes Inn - convivial spot that forms the village social hub and the foundation for some serious hangovers.
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Gansbaai • George • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Knysna • Ladismith • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Plettenberg Bay • Porterville • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Robertson • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stilbaai • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wellington • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein