Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai Snapshot
Measured on atmosphere, our very own Cape Point feels more like the southern tip of Africa than Cape Agulhas does. Those expecting the drama of an exposed spear of rock plunged deep into the ocean’s heart, angry waves attacking on all sides and weatherbeaten natives warring with the elements, might be a tad disappointed. But fact remains, Agulhas is as far south you can go short of rolling up the trousers and taking to the water. So you might as well spend at least one weekend of your life here, if for no other reason than to say, “been there, done that, and have the wet T-shirt to prove it.”
Struisbaai lies a little up the road from Agulhas. Some say it was named after the straw cottages built years ago by fishermen; others ascribe the name to the ‘Vogelstruis’ (ostriches) that once roamed wild in the area. What we do know is that Struisbaai has the longest stretch of white beach in the country, and that it’s a popular family holiday resort with a lot of mediocre houses. According to an old lady we met on crutches, Die Skip (as they call New Year in these parts) is to be avoided by the faint of heart. “Just like the Woodstock Festival,” she muttered, and hobbled off.
Things To Do
- Not that much to do on the southernmost tip of Africa besides fishing and climbing the 71 steps to the top of Cape Agulhas Lighthouse – the second oldest in the country. The lighthouse was first lit in 1849 and has been flashing ever since. From the top, you can just make out a long thin line of foam where the Indian and Atlantic Ocean meet. Would we lie to you...?
- One kilometre west of the lighthouse is a dais and plaque marking the actual southernmost tip of Africa. Request a certificate from the Lighthouse Restaurant to prove to your friends that you have been there. The restaurant is a novel outing as it’s situated in the lighthouse itself – antiques and museum pieces complement the setting.
- No fewer than 120 ships have sunk or gone aground off the Agulhas coast. One of these, the Meisho Maru 30, is still visible 4km due west of the town.
- God made Struisbaai’s 14km beach for long, long walks, swimming, fishing and most other things one does on a beach.
- The fishermen’s cottages at Hotagterklip (at the entrance to Struisbaai) are all national monuments and worth a visit.
Nearly a decade on the block and we have finally discovered a perfect reason to spend an entire weekend on the southern tip of Africa: Langrug Lodge. The brochure calls it “a perfect peace (si...
Now, back in the day (mid-seventies), Marine Drive - the seafront track linking Struisbaai to Cape Agulhas - hadn't seen much in the way of development. In fact, one of few beach shacks was a rough an...
Meticulously restored and framed by typical Overberg countryside of rolling wheat and canola, this gorgeous thatched farmhouse is ready and waiting 10km inland of Struisbaai and Agulhas. Deriving it...
13 Pondokkie is a rustic seaside holiday house in Suiderstrand, which falls within the Agulhas National Park. The house is circled by fynbos and the lilting sounds of birdlife, with great views stre...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Knysna • Ladismith • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Nature's Valley • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein