Lekker by die C, a holiday house on the left as one enters Yzerfontein (85km from Cape Town), more or less captures the spirit of the town. It’s a predominantly Afrikaans holiday-cum-retirement village, flanked by endless beach and a view of Dassen Island 10km across the way. Most of the holiday houses are a case of bigger is better – either that, or the homeowners are afraid of losing their view. Yzerfontein is nevertheless an orderly little place that appears to have been built from a municipal masterplan and as such could do with a little more character. Nevertheless, a good venue for surfers, children and pensioners.
Things To Do
- Visit the historical lime furnaces – in days past they were used to burn shells for making lime.
- Yzerfontein’s bay is a whale haven exploited by an MTN viewing site. Southern rights and their humpbacked cousins are the starring attractions.
- The fabulously long beach and adjacent rocky coastline offer good walking, swimming, surfing, fishing, and a harbour slipway for the family speedboat.
- Look out for the fishing boats and haggle for snoek, geelstert and whatever else happens to be in the net.
- In spring, the dunes and veld around the town come alive under a cover of wild flowers.
- Yzerfontein has one or two restaurants, which you may like to try. Beaches is close to the water.
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Gansbaai • George • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Knysna • Ladismith • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Plettenberg Bay • Porterville • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Robertson • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stilbaai • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wellington • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein