Lekker by die C, a holiday house on the left as one enters Yzerfontein (85km from Cape Town), more or less captures the spirit of the town. It’s a predominantly Afrikaans holiday-cum-retirement village, flanked by endless beach and a view of Dassen Island 10km across the way. Most of the holiday houses are a case of bigger is better – either that, or the homeowners are afraid of losing their view. Yzerfontein is nevertheless an orderly little place that appears to have been built from a municipal masterplan and as such could do with a little more character. Nevertheless, a good venue for surfers, children and pensioners.
Things To Do
- Visit the historical lime furnaces – in days past they were used to burn shells for making lime.
- Yzerfontein’s bay is a whale haven exploited by an MTN viewing site. Southern rights and their humpbacked cousins are the starring attractions.
- The fabulously long beach and adjacent rocky coastline offer good walking, swimming, surfing, fishing, and a harbour slipway for the family speedboat.
- Look out for the fishing boats and haggle for snoek, geelstert and whatever else happens to be in the net.
- In spring, the dunes and veld around the town come alive under a cover of wild flowers.
- Yzerfontein has one or two restaurants, which you may like to try. Beaches is close to the water.
Waking up to rolling Atlantic breakers, sandy buckets and spades heaped at the front door, a griddle of fresh langoustines on the lunch braai… All within an hour or so from Cape Town. 75 on H...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Gansbaai • George • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Knysna • Ladismith • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Plettenberg Bay • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Robertson • Rustenburg • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stilbaai • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wellington • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein