Robertson (160km from Cape Town) has been undergoing a gradual facelift over the past year or two – and unlike the late Michael Jackson it’s looking a whole lot better for it. The main street cutting through the town has been tidied up and there’s a new pride and enthusiasm for all things tourism. Away from the main thoroughfare, Robertson has a pleasant heart of oak-lined residential streets, roses and exploding purple jacarandas in season. But all said and done, the surrounding open countryside is still the main attraction and your base for a weekend in Robertson.
Things To Do
- There are various hikes around Robertson, on either private or municipal land. Several of the establishments that follow offer their guests easy access to wild nature, while the Dassiehoek Nature Reserve is Robertson’s municipal option, offering a two-day hike with an overnight hut.
- On your way to Pat Busch stop off at Sheilam, a cactus garden also known as Little Mexico, for apparent and impressive reasons.
- Robertson’s wine route comprises some 24 farms and co-ops that are open for tasting, including the hi-tech Graham Beck Winery and Van Loveren, a cellar John Platter recommends as among the friendliest and most charming around. Just across the road from Beck, you will find the curiously named Gospel Express Tea Room housed in an old railway coach. Dare you to visit and let us know what you find.
- For more wine head out to Viljoensdrift, an estate draped on the banks of the Breede, 12km from town. Apart from wine tasting, the estate offers a 60-minute cruise on a riverboat called Uncle Ben.
- From time to time we come across individuals advertising horseriding. One would expect so, as Robertson is the country’s top racehorse breeding area. We suggest you talk to the info office for a contact update.
- Robertson has several coffee shops and restaurants. Affie Plaas is our current favourite, with good portions and a very well-stocked farmstall alongside; Café Rosa is a nursery oasis on Robertson’s main artery and also a good stop-off for coffee and decent food. Across the road there are several newish spots attracting a growing following. Further out of town Fraai Uitzicht offers sophisticated dining and upmarket cottages in beautiful surrounds.
With majestic mountains rising up in the distance, and circled by green grass, vineyards, plum, apricot and peach trees, Arendsig appears to offer a most pleasant stay. And unlike some of the scary pl...
Vigne Cottage sits in lush garden on the Bon Courage Wine Estate, just under 10km from Robertson. Spacious and decorated in simple luxury, this little abode makes an idyllic spot for the whole ...
Now under new ownership, Goedereede is a family-oriented getaway 8km from Robertson, with a total of five 3-star (SA Tourism) graded cottages. You’ll find two of these alongside ...
Fifteen kays from Robertson and tucked away at the foot of the Langeberg Mountains on a 12ha tract of fertile farming land, Assegai Rest is a down to earth escape from your usual humdrum of city traff...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Knysna • Ladismith • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Nature's Valley • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein