Bergville & Northern Drakensberg Snapshot
There’s little to lock you down in Bergville itself. In fact, one of the only reasons you’d drop anchor here would be for the town's monthly cattle sale - an eye-opening spectacle for any placid city dweller. Beef aside, the town is a useful supply stop, with enough supermarkets and supply stores to fill a boot. For the tourist, Bergville's raison d'etre is the Northern Drakensberg - Royal Natal National Park's towering amphitheater, its many hikes, trails, scenic drives, general points of interest and good accommodation; all are within 40km of the town.
Things To Do
- Visit the nearby Royal Natal National Park, where you can take on any of a range of hiking trails in some of the Drakensberg’s most dramatic scenery. The spectacular Amphitheater and its waterfalls are a highlight.
- Go horse riding. A number of outfitters offer horse riding trails into the mountains on sure-footed mountain steeds.
- Get your adrenaline pumping, with a number of adventure sports on offer, from cable tours to trapeze flying and abseiling.
- See it all from above. Splash out and take a heli-flip over the Berg peaks.
- Fill a day with a gallery and studio tour, stopping off at various caffeine houses on route.
- For the history buffs, the area saw a lot of action in both the Anglo-Boer and Zulu wars. Many of the the battlefield sites can be visited, including the well-known Spioen Kop.
This airy number on the banks of the Tugela River is true to its name. Big on nature, big on views, big on rustic and big on privacy it's tailormade for groups who place big skies and seclusion higher...
Whether you’re after a convenient stopover en route to the Northern Drakensberg, or need a base slightly closer to town, The Drakensberg Terrace offers a tranquil oasis in a rambling garden sett...
It all started on a working grain farm in the spectacular Amphitheater valley - an abandoned grain silo was given a lick of paint, fitted with a pizza oven and fired up. The rest is history. N...
Wanting to get away to a remote spot in the Berg? This one's for you. Tucked deep in the mountains between Little Switzerland and Alpine Heath, Ingwe is a charming timber cabin located along a 4...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Addo • Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Aurora • Barberton • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Bela Bela • Bergville & Northern Drakensberg • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Clarens • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Dullstroom • East London • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Kaapsehoop • Knysna • Ladismith • Ladybrand • Laingsburg • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Magaliesberg • Magoebaskloof & Haenertsburg • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Mtunzini • Napier • Nature's Valley • Nelspruit • Nieu-Bethesda • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Rhodes • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • Sabie • Sedgefield • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Thabazimbi • Tulbagh • Underberg & Southern Drakensberg • Vaalwater & Waterberg • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Winterton & Central Drakensberg • Witsand • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein •