The Magaliesberg (versus Magaliesburg the town) is a popular country jaunt withing easy striking distance of Jozi - an area where the concrete quickly surrenders to rolling hills and grassland, and the air takes on an altogether clearer and crisp edge. Little more than an hour's drive from the big smog, the Magaliesberg is not only about open landscapes and lonely byways. The well-trodden Magalies Meander weaves together a loose string of casual country restaurants and coffee shops and farm stalls, art galleries, fishing and birding hotspots. There's also something for the less placid - abseiling, zip-lining and hot-air ballooning to mention a few options. While in the area, you might as well also pay a visit to Harbeespoort Dam and The Cradle of Humankind’s Maropeng exhibition centre. Open vistas, enough to do, a range of decent accommodation (and some not so good...), The Magaliesberg is a must-have do for any Joburg dweller needing to put the M back into their Mojo.
Things To Do
- Hike the Shelter Rock trail. A moderate hiking trail which takes you along the summit of the Magaliesberg, offering panoramic views, geological wonders and Boer War history.
- Hit the restaurants. Two firm favorites being Blockhouse Brewery and Bauhaus Om Dam, both offering great settings and even better beer.
- Take on some of the MTB trails on offer in the area.
- If you’re after a dose of adrenalin, a microlight flip, ballooning trip or a zip-line adventure ought to satisfy the itch.
- Explore the hills on horseback, or fish the dams and rivers. There are outfits in the area which offer both.
- Take on the unique Magaliesberg Canopy Tour, a 2.5 hour guided zip lining adventure through Ysterhout Kloof.
- Visit the Sterkfontein Caves for a world-class educational experience into the beginnings of our kind.
Jameson Country Cottages has a bit of the old English-country feel about it - six comfortable cottages set around a pool in a compact garden, with open grassland stretching out beyond. Looking at the...
A pristine 1000ha bushveld setting, Mamagalie Mountain Lodge graces the slopes of the Buffelspoort Valley, and its crystal-clear mountain streams, waterfalls, secluded kloofs, zebra and wildebeest. ...
Intaba Thulile, meaning 'peaceful mountain', has a distinctly bushveld vibe to it. On offer is 450ha of private game farm sans the big predators - meaning you can get out of the car and immerse y...
In a region dominated by faux stone cladding, ugly wall-to-wall tiles, and the liberal use of gum poles, New Horizons is welcome relief indeed. What we have here is a private 22ha farm 7km outside Ma...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barberton • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Bela Bela • Bergville & Northern Drakensberg • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Clarens • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Dullstroom • East London • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Kaapsehoop • Knysna • Ladismith • Ladybrand • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Magaliesberg • Magoebaskloof & Haenertsburg • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Mtunzini • Napier • Nature's Valley • Nieu-Bethesda • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Rhodes • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • Sabie • Sedgefield • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Thabazimbi • Tulbagh • Underberg & Southern Drakensberg • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Winterton & Central Drakensberg • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein