Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) Snapshot
We read on a Chappies wrapper that Arniston is the only town in South Africa with two official names. The other name is Waenhuiskrans, so called because of the massive sandstone cave chiselled by time and erosion – according to Voortrekker legend the cave is big enough for a wagon and full team of oxen to make a U-turn in. Arniston is a magical spot with a beauty and quaint character that enfolds, holds and refuses to let go, and some great self-catering accommodation to match. It is a place of turquoise seas, white sculpted dunes, terraced rock pools, weatherbeaten fishermen and star-studded nights.
Things To Do
- Arniston is about long beach and dune walks, collecting shells and other flotsam, dangling your feet in pretty tidal pools, reading cheap paperbacks, tossing back stiff sundowners and retiring early to bed.
- At low tide, explore the impressive Waenhuiskrans Cave.
- Spend a reflective moment at the monument erected in 1816 by Mrs Geils in memory of her four sons and the 368 other people who drowned when the British ship, the Arniston, hit the rocks and sank.
- Kassiesbaai fishing village is a national monument and a favourite feeding ground for photographers and filmmakers – what is it about dilapidated cottages and underpants blowing in the breeze that attracts happy-snappers so?
- Dinner is either self-prepared or enjoyed at the Arniston Hotel (tel 028-445 9000). The hotel has recently revamped its image and menu to fit South African pockets – the lounge is great for cappuccino and carrot cake, and the restaurant is good for dinner.
Having recently enjoyed a make-over, along with the addition of the new Ouwerf Venue, Rondeheuwel now makes the idyllic spot to head for for that big family function or birthday bash. The venue is a g...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barberton • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Bela Bela • Bergville & Northern Drakensberg • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Clarens • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Dullstroom • East London • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Kaapsehoop • Knysna • Ladismith • Ladybrand • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Magaliesberg • Magoebaskloof & Haenertsburg • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Mtunzini • Napier • Nature's Valley • Nieu-Bethesda • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Rhodes • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • Sabie • Sedgefield • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Thabazimbi • Tulbagh • Underberg & Southern Drakensberg • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Winterton & Central Drakensberg • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein