Nature's Valley Snapshot
Towered over by a dense collage of indigenous forest, deep gorges and tangled vines, flanked by a vast open lagoon and long desolate beach, Nature's Valley is the only village falling within the Tsitsikamma National Park.
We reckon it's the most laid-back destination along the Garden Route. And for good reason. It's cut off from world as we know it, there's one general dealer and a rustic beach restaurant with questionable menu, and the beach and wide lagoon has a way of very quickly seducing one into the quasi-hippie lifestyle. So, come prepared for languid sun-drenched days filled with everything, yet nothing in particular.
There's a wide choice of accommodation, most of it private holiday homes occupied by their owners over Christmas. Out of this period though, there is plenty available.
Things To Do
- The lagoon at Nature's is famiy holiday Nirvana - set up camp for the day, kick back and enjoy.
- The Nature's Valley Restaurant is the only restaurant for miles around, with a burger-and-chips kinda menu - sitdown and takeaway. The restaurant lies at the end of the infamous Otter Trail (good spot to carbo-load), with small grocery store attached.
- Just up the steep windy pass, you're in The Crags, which offers a good mix of activities, ranging from a pleasant farmstall, a number of wildlife sanctuaries, wine farms, and a Puzzle Park.
- Monkeyland is a primate sanctuary where apes from around the globe enjoy a free existence under the forest canopy - crafty pickpockets among them! You'll find the reserve near the Nature's Valley turn-off along the N2. Open daily from 8am-6pm and tours are by guide only.
- Eden World of Birds is directly next door and a must-do, with an impressive series of suspended walkways and big platter of local and exotic feathered species.
- Further afield, Stormsriver Adventures is based at Storms River Village and offers a lucky packet of adventure activities. The company is best known for blackwater tubing, aptly described as the 'ultimate kloofing experience'. After signing an indemnity form and donning a wetsuit and helmet, you'll be lowered into the Storms River. From here it's a leisurely paddle on an inflatable tube down a narrow canyon of spectacular cliffs and wild vegetation; if all goes to plan you’ll pop out like a cork several hours later at Storms River Mouth.
A family-friendly guest house that will go the extra mile to ensure you AND the kids a comfy stay is generally hard to come by. Add to the wishlist a gorgeous setting with a combo of sea, mountain and...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Calvinia • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Cape St Francis & St Francis Bay • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Colesberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Graaff-Reinet • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Grahamstown • Greyton • Hermanus • Hogsback • Jozi and Surrounds • Knysna • Ladismith • Lamberts Bay • Langebaan • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Nature's Valley • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Paternoster • Piketberg • Plettenberg Bay • Port Alfred • Port Elizabeth • Porterville • Prince Albert • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Riversdale • Robertson • Rustenburg • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Storms River Mouth & Tsitsikamma • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wakkerstroom • Wellington • Wild Coast • Wilderness • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein