R1200 nightly per unit, depending on time of week.
Budget Getaways Review
If you’ve never heard of a Yurt before, don’t fret china, you’re not alone. This isn’t something us Souf Efricans have seen much of, because down here camping is still a Bear Grylls affair of punctured blow-up mattresses, paper-thin sleeping bags and waking up with 2 hours of sleep under the belt. Up in the northern hemisphere however, it’s a different story, with the yurt the abode of choice for a night under canvas.
Southern Yurts brings you the best of both worlds. Unlike a northern hemisphere yurt (which is often plonked in a muddy field circled by shaggy sheep), what we have here is a fully equipped timber-framed rondavel-like structure sitting in the gorgeous Diepklove Nature Conservancy, with a yawing view over a ravine, and a patch of forest. Welcome “yurting” SA style!
Taking a look around, the yurt itself forms the sleeping quarters, with a spacious King-sized bed smothered in percale linen on a lightly screeded floor dotted with kilims.
The interior offers plenty of space and light via clear wall panels and a central roof light.
Step outside and you’ve got a partially enclosed stone and wood kitchen and living area. The kitchen is fully equipped (electric stove and mini oven, toaster, fridge) and the living and dining area is shaped around stone walls and those hill and valley views.
The ablutions are as creative as the rest of this getaway, set within what looks to be a converted water reservoir. Included is a loo, hot shower and basin, with soap, shampoo and towels provided.
Adding to the joy is a wood-fired hot tub sunk into the deck in front of the yurt. With sunsets second to none, you'll find it tough to drag yourself away from here in summer. If you do succeed, there are some lovely farm walks, loads of mountain biking options and even a farm dam for a plunge or picnic.
To sum it up, a night or two at Southern Yurts is something novel indeed. The getaway takes a Mongolian idea, adds to it a beautiful setting, a splash of style and comfort, and voila, there you have it - a fine recipe for a weekend second to none.
- Yurt Facilities: The Yurt (bedroom) is equipped with all bedding and towels, spare blankets, a blow-fan/heater, a hot water bottle for cooler evenings, a chest of drawers, binoculars and wildlife/tree books, other reading material and playing cards. Charging points are located next to the bed.
- The kitchen is fully equipped with all the essentials: tea, coffee, sugar, olive oil, salt and pepper. As a self-catering kitchen, it is equipped with a kettle, toaster, small fridge, double gas cooking plate, fireplace, and includes crockery, pots, utensils and cutlery. We supply firewood, matches and firelighters (more wood can be bought per crate if needed)
- As animal lovers and owners, Yurt is pet-friendly (must be pre-arranged/stated upon booking), Fees apply. Pets must bring their own beds, and must not sleep on the bed, couches or cushions
- If you'd like to explore more of the Conservancy, there are a number of hikes around the farm that give good views and expose the vast array of flora unique to the region
- Cape Canopy Tours zipline is nearby
- For wine tours, check out Beaumont Wine Estate, they do wine tastings and are located 16km from Southern Yurts/Porcupine Hills Guest Farm
"An unusual way to spend a get-away-from-it-all time in a yurt which was warm and comfortable. Beautiful setting."
(visited Apr 2019)
Now, with the “glamping revolution” all the rage, even the slickest of city slickers is opting to try a night or two under canvas. But what about those lookin...
Rooiheuwel-Noord is a sheep and dairy farm found off a pleasant dirt road cutting through green folded pastures. Set on a hill below an impressive mountain, the gu...
Little Willow Brooke is ideally appointed: within easy walking distance of Franschhoek’s hub, yet in atmosphere, miles from anywhere. Perched above a bubbly stream...
An easy-to-reach bolthole from the Mother City, UnderHill Farm offers a soothing setting under giant oak trees and a poplar-lined river bank. Totally off-grid and solar-...
Here’s a fuel-friendly escape from the Mother City - a laid-back farm 5km from Botrivier that ticks most boxes for a family or group of friends. Besides easy proxi...
Where You'll Also Find Us
Arniston (Waenhuiskrans) • Barrydale • Baviaanskloof • Betty's Bay • Bonnievale • Bredasdorp • Caledon • Calitzdorp • Cape Agulhas & Struisbaai • Cape Peninsula & Surrounds • Ceres • Citrusdal • Clanwilliam & Cederberg • Darling • De Rust • Elands Bay • Franschhoek • Gansbaai • George • Grabouw & Elgin Valley • Greyton • Heidelberg • Hermanus • Hogsback • Knysna • Ladismith • Laingsburg • Malgas • Matjiesfontein • McGregor • Montagu • Mossel Bay • Napier • Oudtshoorn • Paarl • Plettenberg Bay • Porterville • Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay and Kleinmond • Riebeek West & Riebeek-Kasteel • Robertson • St Helena Bay • Stanford • Stellenbosch • Stilbaai • Sutherland • Swellendam • Tulbagh • Velddrif • Vermaaklikheid • Wellington • Wilderness • Witsand • Worcester & Hex Valley • Yzerfontein